Tufuga's Mat - Part 2

TUFUGA'S MAT - PART 2

"ITS ABOUT ADOPTING THE LIFESTYLE, VALUES AND MORALS..."

a    s a c r i f i c e

 

Talofa Hunnies and Welcome to Tufuga's Mat Part 2. If you haven't read Part one already, I suggest going back and reading that first! Part one, was all about getting the tattoo done, but part 2 will consist of all the jazz, the ish, the dahdah that comes with the tattoos, the do's the don'ts and of course, the controversial side of things. Once again hunnies, grab something to eat or drink, and lets gets cracking!

>>>.><><><><.<<<
In most cases, if not all, the tattoos wearer had a choice in which to get the malu or not and so in saying that, they also chose to take the responsibility of having the tattoo (good and bad). Part of receiving the malu or a malofie is also adopting the lifestyle, morals and values of a Samoan individual, and often, for the modern day Samoan society, this can mean making sacrifices. And not just sacrificing blood and space on your skin, but so much more which may or may not affect our daily lives.
I have seen posts on instagram , threads on Facebook and have read dozens of articles discussing everything to do with the malu and especially, whether the malu should be displayed as freely as the wearer chooses. This statement right there is so controversial, and enough to stir the pot of any malu wearer because there is a clashing of understanding due to the ever changing day and age. One group of people may believe that if the wearer has endured that much pain, then why not display it as often as possible within comfort of course. Another group of individuals may be on the complete opposite side of the scale and believe that it should only be fully displayed where necessary and not paraded around like any ordinary tattoo. Does the malu lose its significance if its parade around? Kaílo, lets find out...

Where do I sit on the"scale"?
 
Where do i currently sit on the scale when it comes to understanding the malu? Straight down the blardy middle ( se shat ). From as young as 12, I was fully aware of the basic fundaments of the malu, the simple do's and don't ; but as i crept into my teenage years and then slowly into adulthood, it exposed me to more and more reasons to say "no" as equally as yes. I'll admit that in my earlier teen years, i wanted a malu simply because i wanted to put my culture on display all time (a bit of a show off aren't we hmm hmm ). As i kept ageing, this alternated between wanting to make my family proud, who are also malu and malofie wearers and then, the passion to fully understand its importance.
My father, mother , two older brothers, uncle, aunty and grandparents are proud wearers of traditional Samoan tattoos and so naturally, this sparked up a desire to follow the family tradition and get rat-ta-ta tatted up. I decided to carry the work of my culture on my skin because each day, each family function, each birthday, each wedding that had a "faasamoa" part, each taualuga, each harmony day at high school made me so excited because i was able to showcase my culture, even without having the malu at the time.

Sacrifices and Public Opinion

I am still in the early stages of being a Malu wearer but I believe that i understand the responsibilities and the downfalls that also come with the tattoo. A common misconception surrounding young malu wearers such as myself is that we understand everything there is to being Samoan or a Taupou *rolls eyes*. I find this to be partially correct because I'll admit that my Samoan tongue is shite in comparison to my English but at the same time, i am not choosing to NOT learn Samoan. Slowly but surely, i watch the elders before me speak, act, dance, walk and i imitate their good qualities. I have the willingness to learn more and more about who i am  culturally which contributes significantly to the meaning of my tattoo. Often my dignity is on the line because i would overhear people say that they're sick of seeing young girls (like me) getting a malu and not understanding the true essence of owning the tattoo. aé sele
One of the biggest sacrifices that is a bit touch and go in this day and age would be clothing. *cue all the young girls with malu's walking around in short shorts at independence day lol*. With the trends constantly changing to suit the seasons, and the seasons being dramatically bipolar (especially in goon bag land Straya) , its not a surprise that you will see malu's more during one month than another etc. What do i mean by this. Well, hello, the weather lol. Remember earlier when i said there is a big spiel about when and how a malu should be displayed, well clothing has a lot to do with this. Many people argue that culture should adjust and become more modern aswell as open minded when it comes to a malu being shown. The biggest difficulty that many malu wears will face, is when the public fails to see the intentions of the tattoo wear or the given circumstances.

For me (just a young sexy gal from Sydney) there are extremely hot days especially considering the summer in Australia sometimes reaches 42 degrees Celsius, and so on a day as such, it become almost physically unbearable to wear trackies, 3 quarter jeans , leggings or any bottoms that will completely cover my tattoo. I am not saying that i intend on going out in public with a mini skirt, no, because even before having this tattoo, it was once in a blue moon that you will find me in anything shorter than half thigh, and so why should i change now. For me i consider myself lucky to have not shown much of my thighs in the first place, but for my sisters who did wear clothing like that, that is where true sacrifice is made. My wardrobe has not dramatically changed to specifically suit my role as a malu wearer, only my brain has become aware of what is considered too much on display etc.

My casual bottoms range from ankle length skirts with a split to the knee, and occasionally, below the knee shorts or skirts. I am not going to go extremely out of my way to cover up my tattoo, because its not nuclear weapon codes that i have tattooed on me... If you just so happen to see the back of my knees when i am wearing shorts or my knee cap through the split of my dress, know that i am not "showing off" but i am simply just dressed. The day you see me wearing denim underwear height shorts or a mini skirt higher than my thigh band, maybe then come up to me and rock my jaw.



Who should be allowed to have a Malu or Malofie (peá)?

Almost anyone. (well i reckon) You can argue with me on this one if you want but I'm probably sticking to what i believe in. I have heard time and time again from elders, and tattoo wearers that anyone can have the tattoo, but it becomes almost futile if you are not willing to adopt the lifestyle after receiving the tattoo. I believe that if you have any part of you that is Samoan, any ancestor that is Samoan, no matter how big or small the "Samoan "in you is, as long as you are willing to adopt the lifestyle, as well as understand the meaning and the importance of the tattoo, then you are in the clear to have the tattoo done.

On the other hand, i do know many people who are completely against allowing other ethnic groups receive our specific tattoos and i understand where they are coming from. People who have no Samoan in them or refuse to adopt the lifestyle and responsibility of a Samoan are the ones who unfortunately contribute to the hate towards outsiders receiving the tattoo. but all in all, i still stick by the belief that if you're willing to adopt the lifestyle etc, then why not.

Quick story time... There is this white fella that i often see at Bradbury Basketball courts, and one particular night, he rocked up to the courts with another Samoan bloke. A few minutes passed and i was on the side line husband hunting ;) observing their hoop shooting skills until i noticed the tattooed knees of the Samoan bloke. It didn't seem to shock me or anything considering I've seen hundreds of brown Sogaímitis before. Upon closer inspection of the white male though, i noticed that he also had the peá. (wowee) I was in complete shock and honestly a little disappointed in myself for instantaneously giving him that "but are you even Samoan" look. Here i was, so quick to judge when i knew NOTHING about this bloke, he could have been half Samoan, heck maybe even full Samoa, he could have spoke better Samoan than me, and may be the most humble guy on earth, and yet i have just judged him by his skin tone. se shet Lydia.
The point is, when you wear this tattoo of our culture, you're also carrying the Samoan name around with you. So when ever your tattoo is on display, the way you behave must also imitate that of someone with respect, is humble, kind, mindful and mature minded etc etc. There is a Samoan saying which basically translates to "you know a Samoan Boy/girl by the way they walk, talk speak and act".
 

  
.><><><><><.
________________________________________________________________________________
 
cya x
________________________________________________________________________________
 For more detailed blogs about everything there is to know about Samoan Tatau, written and published by another author which is a personal fav, follow this link - http://1samoana.com/the-truth-about-the-samoan-tattoo-tatau/

_______________________________________________________________________________

 
Follow the links below to read some previous blogs.
 
Also feel free to head over to - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhm20F1W3s and stay up to date with my amateur vlogs and travel posts.
 
Otherwise, Catch me on your other social media!
Snapchat - Lydia_rees11
Instagram - Lydia_rees
Facebook - Lydia Rees
Twitter - Lydia.rees3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 - Chapter Four

Transitions

Tufuga's Mat - Part 1